Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Blueberry Pie Filling

I can this recipe and am actually thrilled that I have a bunch put up for the holidays. If you are not going to can it feel free to reduce the recipe or simply just make the batch and give it to friends/family. Lets get it started. It was probably one of my easiest recipes to can to date.


10 cups of blueberries (I wash them in a vinegar/water bath)
1/2 cup of water
1 1/2 cups of sugar
6 Tsps Cornstarch
5 Tsps Lemon Juice


In a large soup pot bring the water, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice to a boil. Pour the blueberries in and bring it back to a boil. Continuously stirring so as not to burn it. Cook for at least a good 5-8 mins. You will notice it all becoming glossy and thick. Now here is where the canning comes in I use quart size jars. You must sterilize your jars and lids. I can not express enough how much a good clean sterile environment is for canning. Place a sterile funnel in jars and ladle the filling. Leave about an inch of room at the top. If any gooey goodness is on top of your jars wipe them clean with a sterile wet rag or paper towel. Place the lids on and tighten but don't tighten them extra tight just a good screw will do. Place the jars in a pot of boiling water standing straight up and make sure the water covers the lids. Cover and boil for 30 mins. Carefully remove the jars and set them on a towel in a safe place for 24hrs. You will hear 'popping' noises and these are like music to the ears of every canner! After 24 hrs check the tops of jars by pressing and if they do not push down you are sealed. This has a shelf life of 1 year.


Now lets bake one you can use a store bought crust or make your own. I prefer to make my own here is my recipe for that.

2 1/2 cups flour
1cup of real butter (2 sticks cut into cubes)
1 Tsp of salt
1Tsp of sugar
Make a glass of ice water as you will be adding 6-9 Tsps at the end


Throw the flour, salt, butter, and sugar in the food processor and pulse it to mix it to a crumble (I put the butter on the bottom it seems to mix better for me)  Add the ice water 1 Tsp at a time to make it hold together. Remove from the food processor then split it into 2 separate mounds. Knead them then place in a bag and refrigerate for an hour. Remove them and flour up your clean counter and roll out your 2 crusts one for top and one for bottom. I have tried to get fancy and criss cross the top but my family enjoys the full crusted top best. After you layer your bottom crust in a greased pie pan add your filling top off the crust and press the edges together. I then whisk up 1 egg white paint the top and bake at 350 for 50-55 mins Let cool for about 40 mins then I refrigerate the pie for about an hour before serving. It is better than any pie I ever bought!
   


No comments:

Post a Comment