Thursday, August 16, 2012

'Lazy Chicken Soup'






       This soup was perfect for today as it was rainy a bit chilly and just plain gloomy. I call it 'lazy' soup simply because there is really little effort put into it but it tastes like you slaved over a hot stove all day! Its a good recipe if you work all day, have errands to run, are sick, or are just plain taking a 'lazy' day but would enjoy a good healthy homecooked meal. I cooked for a family of 4 with plenty left over.
 









I buy this in the mexican aisle in my local store. Its much cheaper than those hard little bouillon cubes that our mothers used to use








3 Large Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (my kids are picky I have made this with chicken legs or other parts before)
 
2 Bags of Carrots (peeled rinsed and cut in half)
 
1 Small Head of Cabbage
 
1 Large Onion
 
2 cups of Corn (you can freeze fresh corn on the cob when it is in season if you first boil for 2 minutes then blanch in ice water I have a basketful in my freezer on the cob and baggies that have been cut off the cob)
 
2 handfuls of Fresh Green Beans (you can freeze these the same way you do the corn I highly recommend it. In our house we never use vegetables that come in a can)
 
4 Tbsps of Chicken Bouillon (you can add more before serving if needed)
 
1 bag of Soup Noodles (we prefer Kluski noodles)

Tortillas (optional)
 
 
          This is a crockpot recipe which is where the 'lazy' term comes from. Whatever your schedule you can spare 15 mins at the beginning of your day to throw all these ingredients together and have a great meal at the end of your day. We usually pair it up with a sandwich or grab a tortilla to go along with it!
 
           Simply chop your ingredients into large chunks. The exception being the green beans and corn. Throw all into the crockpot. Fill with water. Add your chicken bouillon. Put the lid on. Turn on high and simply go about your day while it all cooks together wonderfully. I usually cook it anywhere from 6-8hrs. Its not going to burn! Then boil a pot of water cook up your noodles and get ready to enjoy! This actually taste like Grandmas Chicken Soup that she slaved over a hot stove all day cooking with love. I almost feel like a cheater when I cook this. My family enjoys it so much tho and it makes it so much easier to pick out whatever vegetable the kids don't like.
 
           You can even warm a few tortillas and wrap some chicken in and spoon the green salsa  (recipe  was posted last night) on top. It is a perfect matchup with this soup! As always I hope your family enjoys this as much as mine does.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  •  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment