Monday, December 27, 2010

Merry Christmas! Have some Church Supper Salad!

I hope that everyone had an amazing Christmas! My family is very blessed and it was nice to have everyone together. For the first time in my whole life we had a white Christmas; something completely unheard of here in the south! snowy treeIt was so beautiful! Santa brought me a brand new coat which was a shock, warm and cozy! Interestingly enough my father gave me two DVD’s; movies I do want to see however they were Blu-ray DVD’s and I don’t own a Blu-ray player… He owns one though. Bless him; he wants to spend time with me! I love him so much, and I will have to just save up for my own Blu-ray player. Griffin Snow2Until then he and I have some movies to watch together. “Daddee” also got me the greatest set of measuring cups and spoons from Williams Sonoma, which for any Blue Jean Foodie Queen is like Disney World or Mecca. They are simply wonderful! I immediately placed a ban on them; no one is allowed to touch them but me. You might be thinking, “What a selfish twit!” for placing said ban until you realize that without this ban, I would never see these kitchen tools again. Measuring spoons and cups in our house are the kitchen equivalent of the odd missing sock in the laundry room. My mom got her greatest wish this year! She has always wanted a Bose sound wave radio/CD player system. You know the one that is sold on television… Dad/Santa got her one this year and the look on her face made the whole day mean that much more!Misha Especially when she found the pearls he had tucked into her stocking. Overall this Christmas was one of the best in recent memory and I am very thankful and blessed to have such a great family.

Of all the familiar family holiday dishes that I grew up eating the one I am going to share with you now is my very favorite. For me, it is not a special occasion unless this particular dish is served. I even have taken to requesting this dessert instead of birthday cake for my birthday.DSCF1437 Originally it was considered a “salad” because in my grandmother’s day congealed salads were fashionable. Though it is sweet and not at all what I would consider a salad ever... My love for Church Supper Salad is so great that it cannot mingle with other foods on the plate and must have its own plate when possible! It may be borderline obsession level love, but I have no remorse for this. When you read the recipe it sounds kind of crazy, but trust me, give this a chance and you will love it too.Sarah In all my life of serving this dish to people at church gatherings, family gatherings, social functions, and the like I have yet to hear anyone say they don’t care for it. This dish is also so easy to prepare it will soon become a standby for you to take to pot lucks or family meals. So please try it and enjoy it!

Church Supper SaladCompleted CSS

Ingredients:

2 packages of Cherry Jell-O (I sometimes use Black Cherry, both are equally good)

1 can cherry pie filling

1 20 oz. can Crushed Pineapple with Juice

2 cups water

½ pint sour cream

8 oz. cream cheese

½ cup granulated sugar

Pecans chopped (or just broken up) approximately 1 cup, you can use more or less depending on your preference for Pecans. (Don’t skip the pecans they add a texture that really makes this dish!)

Salad:

Dissolve Jell-O with 2 cups of water mix in pie filling and crushed pineapple with the juice. (I literally just dump Congealedeverything in a bowl and mix well until the Jell-O is dissolved) Place mixture into a 13x9 casserole dish; allow to congeal at least 3-4 hours or for best results overnight. (I always make it the night before.)

Topping:

Mix sour cream, cream cheese, and sugar in mixing bowl. ToppingMix well. Spread evenly over the top of the congealed Jell-O. Sprinkle with pecans. add PecansYou can refrigerate at this point or serve immediately. Keeps well for several days in the refrigerator, but never really lasts that long because people eat it too fast!

Happy Holidays y’all! Grace

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great Christmas. It's so nice to be able to spend it with family. I can see why you consider that "salad" a dessert. It sounds sweet and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vincent, Thank you! I have submitted my blog to your site.

    Kristen, Thank you for reading! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas yourself. This year was a very "blessed" year indeed. Please try my recipes and enjoy them! Let me know what you think with your results! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a lot of fun at Christmas, lucky you! Families are the most important ones in life. And I'm intrigued by this dessert/salad as it is easy and has pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zerrin,

    Christmas is my favorite time of year! I don't know if I could find a way not to enjoy it somehow! And yes, I am very, very lucky to have the family I have. Please try this dessert! I eat it year round, as I said I have it instead of birthday cake... my birthday is in July! Let me know how it turns out! Make sure you follow and subscribe so you don't miss out on any new recipes!

    ReplyDelete